Old 08-05-05, 07:36 AM
Don Gwinn
Giant-Riding Ogre

Bikes: 2005 Giant OCR2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never really treated green tea as a weight loss product, but I like tea and green tea made a nice switch from my normal iced tea while still being low-or-no calories.

However. . . . . last time we drove to Chicago to see the in-laws when I was still on the low-carb diet, I picked up a bottle of "Green Tea" at a gas station. I did not read the ingredients or calorie list on the back, I just checked to make sure it wasn't labeled "sweetened" or anything like that--no goofy flavoring, no lemon, no sweeteners, so it must be pretty healthy stuff, right?

WRONG! Drinking that stuff was like drinking sticks of Wrigley's speamint gum in liquid form. It was FULL of sugar and artificial mint flavoring to the point that the bottle of "green tea" I'd picked up not only didn't really taste like tea at all and had almost 400 calories. I forget the carbs, but they were many and ill-tempered.
You'd think even if they didn't care if a dieter had his day thrown off their sugar water, they'd at least want to advertise the fact that they went to all that trouble to add the wonderful minty flavor and all, but nope. There was absolutely nothing on the label about it except the required nutrition breakdown on the back and a small-print ingredient list.
Before, I usually read those; now I do it without fail.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter