View Single Post
Old 06-28-12, 05:39 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm reminded of the perceived ban on tandem bicycles that was written into Japanese vehicle safety codes.

What was purportedly targeted as illegal was having more than one rider on a bicycle built for only one rider, i.e., riding "in tandem" with a passenger on the handlebars, doubled-up on the saddle or on a fender.

Whether through oversight or omission, the language has remained unchanged. However, it also appears to be a law that is never enforced when folks ride tandem bicycles in Japan.

It is true that tandems were banned by the UCI for track racing events due to safety concerns after several serious crashes a few decades back now. I'm still not sure I really understand that one as there are still serious crashes in a variety of other track cycling events to this day. I suspect there is and always has been a quiet bias against tandems by the cycle racing community who seem to struggle with the concept of cycling ever being anything but a sport that's all about one person on one bike. Well hell, they also struggle with a lot of other things too...