View Single Post
Old 06-28-12, 08:10 AM
Acquaspin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goldfinch
Oh, and I am nervous about the downhill side coming back. My top speed to date is something like 35 mph. And that was on my fat tired hybrid.
There's plenty of good advice for the climbing part, I'm sure you'll do OK. Mentioning the downhill brought back some memories so i'll focus my comments on that part.
I have to say that I'm no speed demon, and this type of speed when mistakes could end with skin an pavement getting acquainted has no appeal to me whatsoever. The first few it felt i had a higher Heart rate going downhill than going up. Amazing how fast a road bike gains momentum.

After a bunch of rides this is my down-hill flight check:

* Test brakes at the summit and remember which is the FRONT brake as that is the one you want to use the most. It may sound counter intuitive but this is what happens: If using the rear brake only there's a chance of skidding, at the time of braking a bit of anxiety could take over (feeling that rear brake is not enough) and prompt to press too hard on the front brake lever. That could make locking the front wheel and either flip over or lose balance. Ideally you press both levers (with the front slightly harder than the rear), but then remembering which is front comes into play.
Yeah, i know, how difficult could it be to remember which lever is the front brake?. Well it's first time and possibly the brain link front brake>>left lever is not set in stone yet. Perhaps not the best time to test how the brain memory is functioning when going 40-50 mph knowing that getting it wrong could spell disaster.

* Keep momentum under control. Use the brakes constantly (press hard as necessary, reduce speed, let go, rinse and repeat mostly during the straight sections of road)). "Fast" is something relative. 35-40 mph on a bike is definitively fast for me, some other people here feel comfortable going 45-50 mph. Going down-hill is a hands-on crash course about the FAST concept.

* Keep your butt in the saddle (as keep as much weight as possible on the rear wheel). Reduces the risk of flipping over should the front brake lever is pressed too hard.

* Avoid keeping the brakes on for too long. Rims and brake pads could overheat, need to let them cool down.

* No braking in turns. Use the brakes on straight sections BEFORE the turns, once in the turn let the bike roll.

Enjoy the ride, and the views, and come back and let us know what is FAST for you ;-)

AQ

EDIT: Just saw your previous post (while i was typing away)
Quote "... I am pretty good at braking issues, I used to ride a motorcycle and know how to handle braking on the twisties. "
Feels like I'm giving north pole survival technique suggestions to an eskimo.... ;-)

Last edited by Acquaspin; 06-28-12 at 08:45 AM. Reason: quote added