View Single Post
Old 06-28-12, 09:21 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jfmckenna
I always heard people tell me I need to train my weakness and practice sprinting more. It never worked. I simply cannot sprint and that's that. It has a lot to do with muscle type and all this biological crap. I can lead out a sprinter from 1k really well though sometimes they get shot doing it and can't come around. My advice would be see if you are sprinter, or not, and go from there.
someone may not have the physiology to be a "sprinter" against other sprinters, but alot of races are won by non-sprinter types who have maximized what their legs will give them in a sprint by practicing and mastering technique. i advise racers to spend some time doing form sprints to maximize what they've got - making sure to be in the drops, low in the front, be able to shift gears, what their gearing should be (i.e. not to be over or undergeared) how long of a sprint (max out of saddle effort) they can maintain so they know when to go, and to practice that bike throw at the end. knowing this stuff and having practiced it will help anyone should they find themselves in a situation to use it and might end up being the difference between a win and an also ran.