Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bunnicula
Yes I really do. Your statement says:

"Your only options are as follows:
1) Monitor your local Craigslist for an old 80's styled 10 speed, or any other kind of chromoly steel framed bike with gears"

She can get many different kinds of used bikes for her $450 (HER stated budget for used) - an inexpensive used road bike or a hybrid that is a couple years old, a comfort bike. She isn't limited to an old 80's bike. I'm selling my '11 Trek Navigator 2.0 with only a couple hundred miles on it for $300. Perhaps you should have stated "SOME options are". Certainly a steel bike isn't her only option.

And unless you are her parent buying the bike it doesn't matter if you strongly object to what she wants to spend. It is her money and she's the one who has to like riding the bike she picks out.

OP, keep a watchful eye on CL if you want to buy used. Many decent and often not very old bikes do pop up. There are entry level hybrids that you could buy new within your budget, even from bike shops, but a used bike might be a little less enticing to would-be thieves. I'd stay away from Wallyworld bikes. And at 5'11" keep in mind you'll more than likely be needing a larger frame size, especially if buying WSD.
The general idea is for the OP to find a used chromoly steel framed bicycle, as this frame choice will give her the optimum likelihood of service. So monitoring Craigslist would be a vital activity in order to obtain a used bike. Of course, a chromoly steel frame would assure less risk, so quite naturally I'm going to advise in the OP's best interest.

The OP has already indicated that theft is a major problem on her campus. Therefore, investing in an expensive bike would be a blatant display of both ignorance and stupidity. The OP has stated that her budget at most is $550 dollars. Any mature adult with common sense, would not spend anywhere near the upper limit of their budget, knowing full well that the risk of having their bicycle stolen exceeds the probability that it won't get stolen. At that point, most intelligent people would want to exercise a certain amount of discretion by limitting their bicycle expenses and their losses.

Why risk losing $400 when you can accomplish the same goal and only risk $200 or less?

While "Wallywolrd" is most certainly not the best resource for buying bicycles, it does seem to be the an expedient solution for many college students due to high theft statistics on their campuses. For a young lady at 5'11", losing an XL Schwinn Empire at $250 would hurt much less than losing $550 spent on a higher quality bicycle, and that's for certain.

Of course, if money is no object, then the OP should purchase whatever she wants from any LBS that has a bicycle that suits her fancy.

The OP is here asking for advice. I feel quite capable of providing that advice, just as you do. Any BF member who feels as though they have some information that may prove to be helpful should feel free to offer it. Ultimately, it's up to the OP as to whether she accepts that advice or not.

I don't like Wallyworld either. However, for some people, it's just a temporary solution to an immediate problem. Of course, Craigslist should always be preferred to any BBS outlet bicycle. However, the problem there is that the novice is at the mercy of the seller, unless they know what they're looking for.

I'd much prefer to see the OP buy from Craigslist, a LBS, or perhaps even an online bicyle, before opting for a Walgoose. However, sometimes our wishes aren't granted and people just go with the popuar flow.

Last edited by SlimRider; 06-30-12 at 02:07 AM.