Thread: No Gloves?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-12, 02:37 AM
PMK

Bikes: 2006 Co-Motion Roadster (Flat Bars, Discs, Carbon Fork), Some 1/2 bikes and a couple of KTM's

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TandemGeek

Off-road tandem crashes tend to throw you off to the side, even when the front wheel washes out so your side, forearms, backside, etc. take the brunt of most crashes.

Frankly, my biggest concern when riding a bicycle -- as well as a motorcycle -- isn't flesh wounds; it's 5,000 lb vehicles with distracted drivers. Gloves ain't gonna do much good.

Like I said, it's a risk...

I ride bicycles and motorcycles and eat red meat: I'm used to accepting risks. Hell, I've been shot with a .22 while cycling; how you gonna manage that risk other than carrying on the bike and shooting back...

Agree with all points.
As for getting shot, I'm guessing you were MTBing past a backwoods still that was making moonshine.

FWIW, my stoker is full fingered MX gloves 100% of the time, both road and off-road. I always wear MX gloves off-road, and only wear gloves on-road when it's cold. While never been shot, we have sometimes wondered just how close some bullets came.

On my single MTB, I nearly run over paintballers locally and at Tsali I almost used a hunter for a berm since he was laying in the trail all Rambo'd up. His eyes got very big seeing that front wheel coming at him at speed.

PK