Old 07-03-12, 10:26 AM
Latif

Bikes: Seven Axiom steel, Salsa Vaya,Specialized Sectuer, Santa Cruz 5010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek 8.3 DS seat experience

I've had my 8.3 for nearly a month now and besides the rack I got on the day of purchase the only mods I've done are Ergon GC3's and a computer. I've been mostly riding on our decrepid farm land flat roads and have been on our community forest trail system once. The bike was the best fit when I was test driving them but having not been riding much in the past 20 years when I took it out for much longer runs, 5 to 10 miles, I started noticing the usual things, sore butt, uncomfortable hands ( the ergons help a bunch) and experimented with different seat heights. I was sure after a few weeks that I needed a new seat and was eyeing a Serfas dorado but didn't pull the trigger. I went on my longest ride yesterday, 16 miles and tried one thing different. I moved the seat back about a half inch and what a difference. No soreness at all in my rear end and the same for my hands. The bar ends really help to vary my grip. I had resisted moving the seat back as I thought it would put more pressure on my hands but there must have been something in the new geometry that just clicked. I'm glad I didn't run out and get a new seat to fix my sore but when it seems to be more of a fitment issue.I'll stick with the stock cheap Bontrager seat for now

I'll report back when I get some longer rides under my belt. This bike does great out on the open road and felt just fine in the forest as well!