Old 07-03-12, 06:12 PM
David Bierbaum

Bikes: 1992 Specialized Crossroads (red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 19 Posts
Okay, here's one to stump you all. I think my bike has "personality". When adjusting my front brake after raising the stem, I had it pretty much done, when I noticed a strange and incomprehensible phenomenon. Being a Cantilever brake, the cable routes through the stem, so the entire brake to lever geometry does not change in the least! No other cable comes into contact with this one at any point.

BUT! I noticed, when I turned the wheel 40 degrees or more to the right, and applied the front brake, the pad on the right would touch the rim before the left pad. If I straightened the wheel or turned it to the left, both pads would touch the rim simultaneously. Out of curiosity, I turned that little tension adjustment allen key in the one cantilever till both pads touched the rim together, while the wheel was turned right. I was kind of expecting for the other pad to touch first when the wheel was turned left or straight, but NooOOOooOOoo, it just had to be perverse, and behave the same in all directions!

Try as I might, I can NOT explain this behavior in any way that makes sense! How 'bout you folks?

Edit: I just fiddled with it, and it still does it!

Last edited by David Bierbaum; 07-03-12 at 06:37 PM.