View Single Post
Old 07-04-12, 03:07 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
"Loud hubs save lives."

When I test rode a Cervelo for the first time, I thought it was a fantastic bike, but its one downside was that it screamed like a banshee if you stopped pedaling. That was at a bike shop to pass some time while they fixed my Novara; a year or more later, I had a Cervelo, and the noisy freehub grew on me pretty quickly. It turned into an alarm that told me I should be pedaling. When I had to take a MUP, it alerted people to my presence, I'd never have to actually say anything and they'd move out of my way. Eventually, it just felt right.
Know what you mean. My MTB has a really loud freehub and people do hear me coming on shared paths, I just have to stop pedalling a short time and they get out of the way. The cross bike runs almost silently, it's not unheard of for me to freewheel past people and them to have had no idea I was even there.

Sometimes I think of swapping out my rear wheel for one with a louder freehub, but then figure it would be cheaper to get a bell.