Old 07-04-12, 03:56 PM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PapaGanoosh
Appreciate all the great input guys. You have really helped me out. I just went to go test ride a bike yesterday. The bike itself was in decent condition aside from looking a bit old. It was a 58cm and the seat was adjusted way too high for me but it can be adjusted. Now my question is about the fit. I was wondering about how much standover clearance I should have. I read that you should look for 1-2" of standover clearance but when I stood over this bike I basically had close to none (the top tube was right against my crotch) but when I rode the bike my legs were basically extended fully (if I adjust the seat I think I can get the extension that is described for a good fit). Is this 58cm bike a good fit for me or should I look for something smaller?
How low can the seat be adjusted? If your legs are fully extended as you pedal, that's a bit too long.

Also, did you feel too stretched out and low, too cramped inside, or were you stretched until you were comfortable enough?

Top tube length is a much more important factor to consider when it comes to your positioning and body comfort while riding. I've ridden bikes where "the top tube was right against my crotch" as you put it, but some of those bikes still felt just right for me because they had the correct top tube length and stem length for the type of riding that I prefer to do.

Edit: sorry, I should have read all the posts in this thread before responding. Okay, so it sounds like you're around my height or maybe a bit taller even (5'9" or thereabouts). My main bike is a 54cm size, and the old 10-speed I used to ride was a 54cm size. For most road bikes, I find my comfort level is in frame sizes between 52cm and 56cm (depending on the top tube length). I'd actually look at test-riding 54-56cm size frames if I were you. But if the 58cm feels comfortable, I wouldn't worry too much about the stand-over on it. I'm used to just tilting my bike to the side whenever I come to a stop and put a foot down in order to get off the bike without hitting the top tube.

Last edited by fat_bike_nut; 07-04-12 at 04:06 PM. Reason: I did not read all posts before responding.