Old 07-07-12, 04:48 AM
crawfordvj

Bikes: Trek FX 710, Marin Nicasio SE, Cannondale Furio Lefty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
I did much the same thing with an old Gary Fisher during April / May. (Mostly old parts) I too grinded the teeth off and went 1 x 9 I restricted the back derailleur to 7 to avoid the chain skipping off the front ring. I will soon be putting the smaller front on soon, as I have started using it for MTBing too. Won`t bother with the front shifter and front derailleur. I`ll just manually change the front when I go into the mountains.
April / May must be bike building season in Japan. I couldn't ride the bike for a month because of the rainy season. This was the first afternoon that had light showers forecasted, but I also had to be careful of land slides.

I have to ride a fair way on the coast road before I get to the trails. It was OK getting there on my MTB but always hard work getting home. Wasn't economical having to replace tyres with only the middle of the tread worn down.
At first I wasn't going to bother getting the Trek as I have a Cannondale frame that I want to build up but realized that most of the parts that needed replacing were the cheap regular bits like brake pads and cables. Most of the other parts are old but came up well with a can of matt black spray or wire brush, steel wool and metal polish.

Rode the Trek on a few forrest trails in the hills after I took these photos and was surprised how well it handled, even with a 700c x 28 on the front. Once that wears out I will replace it with another Randanneur Cross.