Old 07-07-12, 03:03 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the posts, they have all been helpful.

Originally Posted by cycronin
The safety glasses sounds like a good, cheap recommendation. I ordered these, slightly pricier but not by much: http://www.amazon.com/Pairs-Kickback...rcycle+glasses

They are padded to protect the eyes against wind, which is useful for me since I wear contacts. The reviews indicate they probably don't protect against wind at higher speeds on a motorcycle, but that's obviously not a problem on a bicycle. I haven't had issues with watering eyes and irritation since wearing these.

I also use a take a look mirror, which I find indispensable. Even on trails, it's nice to know when there's a speedster bearing down on me. To the person not understanding the need for mirrors on a bike, even if it saves you only a split second (and it should save you a bit more than that), trouble can develop faster, and anything that saves you any time recognizing and reacting is a wise investment, IMO.
Those padded glasses look cool. And I agree with your statement that split seconds can count in traffic, that is why I like my Take-A-Looks so much.

I also like the idea that was posted by the recumbent rider who keeps two sets of glasses, one clear and one sunglasses, both with Take-a-looks. I plan to do the same.

Here are the clear safety glasses I am planning to get after next pay day:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2N6NO8W19JCUN

One of the other challenges I face that I forgot to mention in the original post is that I am a larger rider, including having a larger than normal melon (I wear a 8 1/4 hat size - that is large enough that you cannot find a White Sox or any other MLB hat offered in that size anywhere). The sunglasses I have are Iron Man Triumphs that fit a wider face nicely. I'm hoping these clear ones fit the bill there too.

I have gotten a lot out of this thread, thanks again all.