Old 07-09-12, 12:56 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
Probably worth $40 if everything is in good shape, but as previously said, Huffy's are not terribly good bikes. Since your daughter is looking for something for general fitness riding, I think you can do better. Here's what I recently bought my own daughter for $40, though it took about an additional $150 in parts and a few hours work to get it rideable.
What in the world did you spend 150 dollars on? If the first picture is the before, looks like it needs nearly nothing. I mean grease is cheap so regreasing the bearings is cheap. You can get brake pads for around 10-15 dollars. New black bar tape for under 10. A used nice seat at the coop or CL is probably 5-15 dollars. Pair of tires if you can't find them at the coop could be around 30 or so if you aren't looking for the best. Walmart cable and housing kit for 6 dollars.

I'm not being a jerk but I could have rehabbed the bike for under 30-40 dollars at my coop if I could source tires there. Under 60-70 if I needed to buy new tires.

Edit: just adding this, the reason why I asked is that I want the OP to understand that you can safely refurbish a bike at your coop for around 30-60 dollars no problem. Probably even a fair amount less. I just noticed that you put bar end shifters on the bike, those are pretty pricey by themselves. I sourced a set of 9 speed Dura Ace bar end shifters last week for 20 dollars at my coop.

Last edited by bobotech; 07-09-12 at 01:00 PM.