Old 07-09-12, 03:17 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sfsdfd
...my rear gear has been missing a lot during shifting (sometimes taking as many as two revolutions to fully engage) and clicking a fair amount during ordinary riding in some gears.

(1) Any advice for looking into the rear gear? I've ordered a repair stand, and intend to prop up my bike to scrutinize the shifting mechanism in practice (with a textbook in hand) to learn how it works and what may be going wrong. Any advice for going about this process?

Any thoughts about the prognosis of the gear? Is this the type of problem that can be fixed through amateur maintenance or needs professional repair? And is this typically solved by adjusting the derailleur, or should I be expecting the need to replace significant parts of the gear?

Finally - where do I draw the line between minor home maintenance and taking the bike to a cycling shop? I'm not about to start unbolting anything critical to the stability of the bike, but I'd also like to improve my understanding of the mechanism and start developing hands-on experience.

(2) Any recommendations for hardware upgrades that might improve the casual cycling experience?

I'm definitely not looking to bling out my bike and don't care about status...
(1) You're already going about it the right way. You might try watching several videos about derailleur adjusment as well, or even better attend some consumer repair clinics/classes if offered locally. There's so substitute for hands-on assistance.

Prognosis - Yes, your cable could be stretched, but don't start your quest to learn more about your bike by just attaching specific symptoms to specific causes. Learn how the derailleur works both by reading, but also through observation, and then diagnose problems by applying what you know in a logical process.

"Typically" it's just an adjustment, but you gave no time frame or other details - has the problem been developing, is it a new bike, did it start after an accident or equipment change, etc.

Not easy to draw the line, but if you have done all the "standard" items to solve a problem and things still aren't right go for advice - either here or a shop. Keep in mind that the "standard" approach usually assumes everything is properly installed, lubricated, straight, etc. That goes especially for wheel truing.

(2) Hardware upgrades? - I'll go the reverse first - what to NOT worry about:

Lightening parts/wheels/tires - extremely minimal effect on performance, under 1% in general, in return for time, money and possibly less reliability.

Higher gears - Speed is in the engine, not in the gearing.

Expensive tools you will use once every two years - just get the basics as you need them.

Now as to what you CAN do -

Make sure your bike is fitted well to you and comfortable. Seat height, fore-aft, distance to handlebars (first) handlebar height (second). Try a different seat if yours is still uncomfortable after you have some miles in. Definitely use cycling gloves.

No bling/status - good for you. Just ride and enjoy.