Old 08-06-05, 08:54 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
"Why don't you drive a car like Normal People??!!" (Toronto Road Rage)

True story....happened today in Toronto.

We're at a stop light, facing north on Lascelles Blvd at Eglinton. There's no through street ahead, instead there's the driveway entrance to a local community centre, and that's where we're heading, since there's a bike path from the driveway through to the next street. I hear a cyclist pull up behind me, and glance back. He's a middle-aged, maybe professional dude, not too different from myself, except he has a cellphone mike and earpiece attached to the side of his head. He asks my kid if he's pushed the signal button and comments on how long it takes the light to change even with that. So, a well-wired, impatient fellow.

Finally the light changes and my kid speeds ahead. My new friend and I are a little slower off the mark. As we pull into the intersection we see a blue minivan coming south out of the community centre driveway and starting to turn left into our path. The driver hesitates as we approach, then blasts his horn.

I'm usually more passive-aggressive than aggressive in these kinds of situations...I like to ride 'real slow' and make 'em wait. Cellphone Guy pulls ahead of me and yells something about having the right of way as he passes the driver's window, then slams his fist against the rear passenger window.

We keep riding, but seconds later, when I'm 50 feet into the driveway. I hear the unmistakeable sound of a vehicle reversing fast. Blue van man backs up recklessly past me, bouncing over speed bumps, and coming within a couple of feet of Cellphone Guy's rear wheel. "Watch out", I yell, but Cellphone guy has already pulled over onto the path, and is waiting, with a bit of a smirk, to see what will happen next. The window comes down on the van revealing an ordinary looking guy in his forties, but what we hear is a stream of puerile abuse that could have come from a pre-teen. I can't remember everything he said but the one thing that sticks out is "Why don't you drive a car like normal people??!!" Of course the spew has been directed at the other cyclist, but the last comment offends me considerably since I'm standing right there astride my bike. "You're such a fool" I say in my mock sweetest voice. Van man throws his vehicle into gear and screeches away, and the last thing we hear is him repeatedly yelling "******! ******!".

Would love to hear your comments.
Robert