Old 07-10-12, 08:36 AM
HMF
SkinnyStrong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How long do you expect your race bike to last?

So, I have an aluminum Caad 10 that I got in May of last year. What a great frame- real smooth and responsive, relatively inexpensive and lightweight. Lately, I've been talking with teammates, one in particular, about new bikes. Having a "team bike" would be cool, but it's mostly a pipe dream since most of our tiny team are opposed to ditching their current bike for matching bikes, for budgetary reasons and, I'm sure, on principal.

On an individual basis though, this one teammate seems to think you should sell your race bike every year, and use the funds to get a new model year, both for looks and warranty. I was under the impression that I would ride this thing into the ground- until it breaks or until my wallet gets too fat to keep in my pocket. His method could be best, depending on how long you think your bike will last, or he could just be spending a lot of money unnecessarily.

Do you guys have expectations for the lifespan of your race bikes? Do you just buy new when you feel like it? Only when you need to? What's the oldest steed in your stable?