View Single Post
Old 07-10-12, 01:44 PM
BijouBikeNoob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
The highest possible gear combo is the same for both models- 48x11, so your potential max speed is a non-issue. The 9spd on the '13 offers a closer ratio between the cogs, which will help you maintain your cadence better. The '13 also has slightly lower gearing for climbing with that 26x32 combo.

You might notice a difference between the front chain rings, but then again, you might not. I've got a mtn triple on my bike, and I hardly use the middle ring and use the inner ring even less. Odds are, unless you have a lot of hills, you'll end up using either your outer or middle chain ring almost exclusively.
^This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Mostly I'm going to be commuting on flat paved terrain, but there is the possibility of me taking this into San Francisco, the city of hills. I'm a little worried about missing some of the "zip" on the middle ring, but I guess going from 38 to 36 isn't that much...is it? I haven't bought a new bike in about 10 years (when I was a wee lass), and I'm pretty new to this world of looking at cassettes and derailleurs and shifting ratios, so need all the help I can get!

Also, is it true that 9 speed d'er rear setups wear out faster than the 8 speed ones? I've been reading comments where folks say that the 8 speeds have sturdier chains, and the 9 speeds have more issues.

I know I'm buying what's considered a "low end" hybrid bike, but it's a big purchase for me, so I'm just trying to get the best bike possible.