View Single Post
Old 07-11-12, 07:32 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few folks from another forum asked me for what I do for sprint workouts. I thought I'd share them here.

Remember I am not a sprinter like Aki (CDR). I am an all arounder. Right now I am being coached, and not using any of these. If I were not, I would be doing them during the week. Not all in one session.

The first thing you need to do is figure out your optimal jump RPM. For me, that is 95rpm. It's the cadence where your jump is most effective, i.e. power peak, and also gives you a lot of room to spin up. Your optimal power peak jump rpm may be 125rpm, but you won't have much room to sprint after that.

You need to find two sprint workout courses, one if it can do both short and long. The short course should be flat, sheltered, and 500m long. The long course should be at least 1km long. It should start with a slight downhill to help you get up to speed easier. Mine has a dip, then a rise, which starts at 1% and grows to 4% at the finish. I hit the gas about 350m out before the dip, and carry the sprint up the rise. If you can't find a course like that, then find one with a slight downhill that levels off.

Each one of these requires a warmup and warmdown. Do your normal routine before and after.

#1) Main sprint workout. This one is pretty much an Allen and Coggan workout.

short course - 6x small ring short sprints. Start speed 15-16mph. Jump hard at your jump rpm and start speed and sprint OOS for 50m. Rest 3min, repeat.

long course - 4x full tilt sprints, 250m minimum, preferably 350m. Get rolling on the downgrade section, jump as hard as you can, then hold the sprint until failure, i.e. your legs give out. Sprint 1, 53-17, 23mph start. Sprint 2, 53-15, 25mph start. Sprint 3, 53-14, 27mph start. Sprint 4, 53-13, 27mph start. The start speeds can vary in order to match up to your jump rpm, but not by more than 1-2mph. The idea is to simulate race speeds, or slightly below.

#2) Spinups. 6x. On the short course, get in a small gear, i.e. 39-17, starting at your jump rpm, spin up to your maximum rpm and hold it for 5 seconds. These can be done OOS or ITS, but make sure that you do them both ways at some point. The idea is to train to spin at high rpm both in and out of the saddle. You should reach a minimum of 140rpm but higher is better. On a good day I can hit 190rpm.

#3) Form sprints. 3x. On the long course, get rolling to 20-22mph in a gear appropriate for your jump rpm. Do not jump hard, just start the sprint at around a 75% effort, roughly 2x FTP. Keep the power on, shifting through the gears, but keep the power down. Focus on form. Smooth, 360 degree pedaling, keeping the bike straight, shifting at the right rpm without looking at your computer. It's like riding with an automatic transmission, smooth and steady. When you feel the lactate burn, stop.

#4) Seated sprints. 3x. On the long course, start at 21-22mph in the big ring. At the 500m to go point, hit the gas in the saddle. Shift up to keep the power at maximum and the cadence up. Hold the power until the finish. This simulates a kilo attack or seated attack OTF. Do not get OOS.