View Single Post
Old 07-11-12, 08:42 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,425 Times in 1,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrewevolver
need a recommendation on wheel truing stands. I dont want to spend over 150 bucks. I would like a stand that has guides on both sides, not just one side.
This is just opinion, but save your dough. You already have a workable stand that you ride around on all the time. Use the frame and fork of your bike as a truing stand, the brake shoes are good guides for wobble (both sides as you requested). and for radial you can improvise a guide with a pencil and a couple of rubber bands, or something similar.

If/when you reach the point that you're going to get good value out of a stand, then you can shop for a decent one, expecting to spend about $200.00. The other alternative to using your bike as a stand is to see if there's a local bike co-op in your area. Their stands come with a very helpful feature -- free or cheap advice.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.