View Single Post
Old 07-12-12, 08:14 AM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I'm more partial to the drop bars on my road bike, I actually have the fewest issues with numbness on that bike. On my upright bar bikes ( a hybridized 80's mountain bike and a tandem) I have found that putting the bars too high and too far out in front of me causes more problems. My tandem was causing me serious hand numbness until I put a shorter and lower stem on it. One rule of thumb I have heard is that the bars should obscure your view of the front hub in your usual riding postion. I find I am more comfortable with the hub just slightly visible in front of the bars. If your bike doesn't already have one, you can get inexpensive adjustable stems to experiment with postions.

On the saddle thing, that's very much a personal preference, but more gel and padding does not necessarily equate to more comfort. All that padding and gel compresses against the soft tissues of your butt and actually causes aching rather than relieving it. (But I have a bin of wide, gel filled tractor seats if you want one, just cover the shipping cost for me) I recently upgraded my wife's end of the tandem from a Serfas Gel saddle to a leather Brooks B67s. Other than some remaining minor issues with dialing in the adjustments just right, it solved most of her comfort issues on the bike. Fairly pricey saddles, but worth it, IMO.

Or, you can get a 'bent. But I'll leave the pro-recumbent rant to the experts on that subject.