Old 07-13-12, 04:39 PM
John Young

Bikes: carrera virtuoso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Upsetting a fellow cyclist

The other day I was out on my mountain bike when I heard a noise behind me and a man was riding up beside me. I said hello (which he ignored) and went past me. He was really trying hard up out the saddle in a high gear. I was just spinning along and sitting not really trying to hard.

After he went past he did not seem to have the energy to go any harder and sat just in front of me and I started to catch him up. I felt a little bad going past him after all his effort so spoke to him again (which he ignored again) as I went past. I then cycled as normal only now and again looking back as I normally do and there was no sign of this bloke.

Anyway I got about another 5 miles down the road and I stopped and I heard something and there was this bloke red faced huffing and puffing coming up behind me.

He then started going on about how I must have a 'Really good bike' as he could not catch me and he was really trying. I have a very old basic 'no frills' bike and when I looked it was near identical spec to his including gears. But this lad kept going on and on saying there must be something about my bike that made me faster. He even said he rode the route all the time was very fit and no one went past him.

I did not even know we were racing, and when I asked his age (20) and I told him I was 42 he was not happy at all. His face was s picture, but it still had to be my bike. Not me being fitter or anything like that is was 'My bike' I think he thought I had a hidden engine in there

It made my week that I still have the legs to beat (without trying) a lad half my age