Old 07-14-12, 11:01 AM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmills313
I've always been a little shy of the more hunched over riding positions of road bikes and drop bars compared to more upright on an MTB or hybrid...but at the same time I constantly find myself moving my hands around to try and find a more comfortable hand position, which the drop bars would likely help with...
One of my drop bar bikes has the bar up about 1" above the saddle. I get a bolt upright riding position at the tops, slightly hunched at the hoods, and more hunched on the drops. Granted, it's not as "aerodynamic" as most drop bar bikes, but with the bar set up this high, I find myself using every part of the bar a lot more than on other drop bar bikes. Velo Dog mentioned owning a Rivendell Atlantis. A lot of Rivendell bikes come with the drop bars set up high for multi-hand position comfort, for example.

However, if it's multiple hand positions you want, you don't necessarily need to stick to drop bars. The Novara Safari from REI uses a multi-position handlebar:

http://www.rei.com/product/807245/no...fari-bike-2012

It's more upright than a drop bar would be.