View Single Post
Old 07-14-12, 10:22 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Alex Moll and I made a complete bike-related day of it today. First, he arrived with a bunch of goodies: parts, a frame and tools with which to remove the Masi's headset. He also brought his '73 Bill Davidson, so our ride was kind of special, having two Davidsons over 30 years apart in years.

The ride took us out of Oak Harbor to Coupeville for lunch. We stopped off at the Knead & Feed for lunch, and had a nice chat while waiting for a table with a guy and gal who were touring around the island. They were pretty impressed with Alex's vintage ride and my more modern rig.

Ride pics follow.

Alex heading uphill out of Oak Harbor (still in the big ring):

Coupeville pier:

Knead & Feed - and our waitress:

1973 and 2002 Davidsons:

Two generations separated by nearly 30 years:

Alex and me:

This bird liked my handlebar as a perch:

Heading back:

After lunch (which Alex treated me to - thanks, Brother!), we headed back to do the wrenching and horse-trading. Alex is finally adding an Italian stallion to his stable and I am assisting in putting the pieces together in that endeavor. As part of the process, he bought a donor bike off Ebay recently. I was the lucky guy who got first-shot at purchasing the frame/fork and a few parts he wouldn't be needing.

My job was to go through my spares and find the Super Record stuff he'd need - that, and hit the ATM for some cash, too

At the end of the day, the parts were swapped, Masi's headset was removed and replaced with a PC NR one and I had a new frame to build up. Icing on the cake were the two Campy Portacatenas Alex brought with - both the early and later versions. I'd never seen an early version in the flesh, so that was really cool.

And here's the newest basis for yet another Italian bike to add to my collection:

1978 Colnago Super which allows me to finally complete my personal Colnago collection. I've had the idea for a couple of years to find a Colnago Super to fit in between the '73 Super and '83 Mexico - and this fits right in the middle. So, my favorite era of Colnago is represented from beginning to end now - thanks to Alex.

Many thanks, Alex, for making it a fine bike-day!

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-14-12 at 11:10 PM.