Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Adapting to different leg strengths

I have been wondering about something and figured there were enough people with a common injury to give me an opinion on the subject.

As an LBKA I have considerable strength differences in my legs. For the first couple of years I rode using one leg for 99% of my power and the residual was mostly just riding along. I developed some knee issues in my good leg after a while from doing that and decided to try ramping up the use of the other leg. That led to it's own set of issues with prosthesis fit, which I worked out with my fitter over the course of the last year and a half or so. I am now at a point where cycling is actually less painful for me than walking, but have come across a new challenge that I need some insight on.

I realize that no matter what I do it will be extremely hard to get anywhere near the strength in my residual as my other leg. Since starting to use the legs more equally I have strengthened it considerably and have been able to eliminate the issues in my good leg. I have noted, increasingly as of late, that I am starting to have a pretty fair amount of pain in my lower back on the residual side that I don't recall having before. I am climbing better, riding farther, and paying more when I get in....

At what level do others in this situation use the residual? Do you encounter problems when you pass a certain threshold? If so, what have you done in order to eliminate those problems?