View Single Post
Old 07-16-12, 01:33 PM
seymour1910

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfred
Either is a decent entry level bike. Of the two, I would choose the Cannondale based simply on the fact that it has the better drivetrain components. I recognize you have a budget. But, if I were shopping for a new bike for a friend, I would insist on no lower quality drivetrain than Shimano Tiagra or Sram Apex. For myself the minimum drivetrain quality would increase to Shimano 105 or Sram Rival. I don't know how many lbs you have. But, while I like both Specialized and Cannondale, they both charge a premium for their name that could be saved by looking at other perfectly acceptable brands like Giant or Merida.

As always with a clyde, ask your shop to give the wheels some additional attention before they leave the shop. Namely, forming of the spoke elbows, stress relieving and tension balancing.
Fair enough, and thanks for the new bike ideas, that's why I am here. When I started I only new about Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized. In the last few days I have learned about so many options but I don't know what's good and what's not. I know I don't need a $5,000 race bike, but I don't want a department store ride either. With the drivetrain components you mentioned should I up the budget more and go with this...
http://www.cannondale.com/2012/bikes...6-tiagra-19866

I don't have much more budget, if I spend any more money I wont have money for things like saddle bags, extra tubes, mini tool, patch kit, lights....I want some of that for when I am far from home.