Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
You're over reacting.
No I don't think its overreaction. I think its a realistic response to what is happening out on the roads. Now I for one will not blame drivers for all the accidents; many have been caused by the cyclists themslves, but even one car v. bike accident is too many and as we know, when its car v. cyclist, the car always wins.

Times are changing... when I started riding (yes in the dark ages when dinosaurs roamed the earth) there just weren't that many cars on the road and definitely no teen drivers (when I was young, teens seldom got cars. Usually a household had one vehicle if even that), no cell phones and texting, not as many ethic minorities who get a license but aren't really good drivers, drunk drivers (remember when they got throw in jail and left there... now they either get out quickly or never go at all), well I could go on but the point I am trying to make... one really needs to be more aware these days especially if cycling on the road.

Road riding is easier for me but I find myself taking chances out on the trail because its easier on my psyche... I am just not as stressed out being on trails because there are no cars to worry about. Even yesterday riding Maple Springs, which is open to car and motorcycle traffic, at least people are alittle more aware of other trail users (some but not all however) than motorist who needs to get from point A to B, pick up kids, are warried about their boyfriend/girlfriend, what to make for dinner, had a bad day at work whatever.

The person who does not react and consider road distractions is uninformed and unaware. Also not to get into an argument... there are alot of riders out there who just don't know what they are doing and take unnecessary risks... In my car today I had a rider blow by me on the right going very fast and run a red light for a freeway offramp... obviously someone was watching over him.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 07-16-12 at 04:29 PM.