View Single Post
Old 07-17-12, 10:00 AM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would like to mirror Thor's comments on the overzealous adjustment freaks my dealer had to deal with, which has been a result of hearing things on the Internet. The internet is a great way to exchange knowledge and share opinions, but sometimes it is also an excellent way to turn innocent bike owners into a bunch of hypochondriacs too. Every single minor thing they either saw or heard on the net then gets magnified into something serious. A good friend of mine has a friend whose wife was killed in a bike accident riding her Bike Friday. To this day, he blamed Bike Friday for the loss of his wife, accuse the owners of poor designs on the brakes that had led to this dear wife's death. I believe she had the Diacompe Big Dog brakes which are known to give poor brake performance. Is this relevant to today's Bike Friday bikes? Ofcourse not. But there are people out there who seemed to have a self-imposed mission to vilify some entity. In the end though, the damage is not done towards the bike makers but to the dealers who carry these bikes. What had they done to deserve the onslaught of unsubstantiated rumors and accusations which had already been fixed.
I happened to own a Dahon Mu SL which was the subject of the recall and my dealer had to sell it at a loss because nobody wants to buy it eventhough it was fixed. I got a great deal out of it of course, the same way I got a great deal off my Trek bike because some magazine people wrote an article that claim carbon frames only has a life span of 3 to 5 years. Of course, mine is closer to 8 years and over 100,000 miles already with everything else worn out except the frame.

Please make your own informed decision when you listen to things that's being peddled on the net. In the end, these information are just individual opinions.