View Single Post
Old 07-17-12, 11:56 AM
mprelaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
^^^So, then, you're saying you can't provide documentation that "most people graduate to drop bars after awhile"? That is the comment that I was challenging. I see a lot of experienced cyclists riding flat bars. Myself included - I've been on flat bars for almost 20 years after the first 15 on drops. I think both are fine if the bike is sized and adjusted correctly. Each bar has a different purpose for a different type of rider. Commuters, fitness riders, mountain bikers, and old folks like me (lol) like flat bars; distance cyclists, racers etc. like drops. I don't see the point of trying to prove that flat bars are dangerous when they are not. When I'm riding, the position you described - "twisting your wrists so your hands are knuckles-up" - or Pronating - does not occur. Unless I'm sprinting away from a dog or something, then anything could happen. Leave Kabbie alone and let her ride her flat bars. Kabbie, point your seat up a bit to take some weight off your wrists. Mprelaw, go ride yourself a century and have fun.
#1, where did I say that flat bars are "dangerous"? #2, how did you mis-interpret my remarks to Kabbie as somehow picking on her (otherwise why the admonishment to "leave her alone"?). I thought I offered her some valuable advice to look into bullhorns, as changing hand position is a well-recognized technique for alleviating hand discomfort on longer rides. Did I tell her to sell her flat bar bike and buy a drop bar bike? Did I tell her she'll never be a strong rider unless she buys a drop bar bike and gets clipless pedals? Maybe you can point out how I was picking on her??

I expressed an opinion based on personal observation of thousands of riders at various group rides and charity events, and hundreds of conversations with other riders both in person and online. I have better things to do than comb the web in search of empirical findings on why riders switch from flat bar bikes to drop bar bikes, and I highly doubt that any researcher has cared enough to fund such a study.

My sense is that the word "graduate" pricked your sensibilities. Perhaps a poor choice of words implying moving to a higher level of cycling---that isn't how it was intended. But my opinion still stands that many riders switch from flats to drops because they find the multiple hand positions offered by drops to be an advantage on rides over one hour in length. Even pros will ride for a few minutes holding the flat section of the bars, next to the stem, just to change their grip for a spell. You can disagree with that, but please don't be disagreeable in so doing.

Last edited by mprelaw; 07-17-12 at 12:15 PM.