View Single Post
Old 07-17-12, 12:00 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Not a randonneur, but, when I go to a new area - and am moving again at the end of this year - one of my favorite ways to get to learn the area is to go on long rides until I get myself well and truly lost (or at least unsure of where I am) and then either use a map or my general sense of direction and asking strangers to get home again. Have been thinking a gps computer with directions to tell me how to get home again sounds like a good idea, but was surprised to find out how expensive the garmin ones for bikes that come with directions are (mainly garmin edge 700 and 800 series, right?). It sounds like some people just use the ones for hiking instead? Do those work well enough for directions? I'm assuming they don't have speed/odometer data (or do they?), but I can just leave my current computer on. Does that make for a more reasonably priced purchase?