Old 07-18-12, 10:12 PM
HIPCHIP
Lance Legweak

Bikes: Felt Z-70, GT RTS-2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
If you were cold then your body could have been working on keeping the muscles warm, which delayed sending the chemicals to the muscles, or just being cold caused them to not work normally. SO many different things can cause problems.

In case you were wondering, I'm and old MX racer, and I'd race on Sunday then go see the Athletic Trainer at school on Monday to fix all my "OWies", so when I graduated from my JC I took Kinesiology and specialized in Sports Medicine to figure out how to fix myself. Ended up becoming a Certified Athletic Trainer, but that was a long time a go. So if you have any questions, I'll try and help. Not up on all the current trends, but still have enough knowledge to be able to fix a lot of the stuff that makes you go "OUCH!" (LOL)

The biggest problem with cramps is what they call the Pain-Spasm-Pain cycle, where the swelling slows down the blood flow, which causes more tissue damage, which causes more swelling, etc, etc. A light PAIN FREE stretch will help stop this cycle, as will the ice (but once you ice, you're done for the day). A "Ace" wrap can help, as will taping, but unless you know what your are doing, tape/wraps can do more harm than good, so taking it easy and trying to get the cramp to release is the best. Problem is, rubbing a cramp can be like rubbing road rash, it just makes it worse. Sometimes it's best to grind up some ice, put half on the cramp, and the other half mix with tequila and margarita mix!