Old 07-21-12, 08:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 1,701 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by ursle
Interesting, don't recall ever seeing a bike set up with the brakes that way but if the right hand signal became universal I'd adapt, how do you signal a left turn?
Most cyclocross racers run the front brake on the right, as do most motorcycling bicyclists, because then the brakes match. Also, since most people are right-handed and have better fine motor control on the right hand, it makes some solid sense to give that hand control of the front brake, for generating maximum braking and avoiding crashing.

EDIT: I should add that front brake on the right hand facilitates maximum control and maximum braking power while using standard hand signals.

As for signaling a left, that's left arm outstretched, parallel to the road.

Wow, I'm really shocked at how much ignorance there is of standard rules of the road. Did you folks who don't know the standard hand signals get motor vehicle training? Just curious if that explains it.

Last edited by chaadster; 07-21-12 at 09:00 PM.