Old 07-22-12, 11:20 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Six jours
No one is claiming that a helmet cannot save your life. Only that it isn't very likely to, especially in a car vs. bike scenario.

Did you ask the doctor and medics how much training they had in ascertaining the effectiveness of bicycle helmets? If they're like almost all doctors and medics, they haven't had any at all. As I've noted more than once, in my paramedic days I told several people they had had their lives saved by their helmets, because it's kind of a cool thing to say and gives everyone a little shiver. Never mind that I had no training in the area of helmet effectiveness and had absolutely no idea whether the helmets had done anything helpful at all.

I just wonder if any of those people ended up on the internet, breathlessly telling about the paramedic who claimed their helmets saved their lives...
Actually that's precisely what was being claimed in the other thread, that helmets were useless. They clearly are not.

Large chunks of my helmet are missing. Large chunks of what would have been my head, hair, scalp, skull, and brains, had it not been covered in a helmet. I didn't get the docs helmet testing credentials, but he did make a comment that "it's always so much worse when they aren't wearing helmets" to a nurse. I'll take his word, my visual inspection of the helmets state post-crash, and how my head currently feels over anti-helmet zealotry, thanks.