Old 07-24-12, 01:05 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
My changeover has not been as successfull. A520's as pedals and Diadora shoes were what I did use and will keep the Diadoras and M520's for mountain biking.

I got Shimano 077's as shoes and the pedals are a pair of "Time" ones that seemed to finish up in the shed. Fitted the cleats and clipped in and out and set tension to the lowest. Worked fine stationaryt but I did have a problem clipping in while riding. Standard SPD's and I used them for 20 odd years and I am used to them. Put the pedal in somewhat like the right place and they clip in. Not so with the roadie pedals. You have to engage the nose into the pedal and that is something I am still getting used to. Then clipping in the first foot no problem but on the move and I could not get the 2nd pedal to engage. Instead of just pushing with the foot on the pedal at any angle as with SPD's-- and that meant toe down and click for me-- I have now found that the pedal has to be flat before I exert pressure. May be the pedals but clip in is not as instant as with SPD's. Still get it clipped in but not as instant as I like.

May be the pedals and the cleats have a bronze insert for the retainer that is not pliable in any way. Still works and the shoes are comfy and no difference in feel to my stiff soled Diadoras. But walking and it is not like a duck. More like a pregnant Turkey. Any ride that is going to involve a walk and these shoes will not be used.

And on the SL Cleats. My neighbour got these at Christmas and with just a bit of walking- the cleats are wearing down. Luckily I had a pair in the shed that I passed over to him as replacements.

In hindsight- I may have a "Dodgy" pedal system but now I have tried them- I would stay with the A520's and an MTB shoe for ease of walking. But They are fitted to Boreas so will get some more milage on them before I go back to what I still prefer.

And on my shoes--They are silver. Could not get Black at the discounted price and I will not choose white with our roads. But Sidi's--I will not even go into a shop that carries them. If I do accidentally go into one I will stay away from the shoe section. I know that once I try them on (And I did once)-- I will be buying them. They must be one of the most comfortable forms of footwear possible next to slippers- but a bit above my wallet capabilities.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 07-24-12 at 01:26 AM.