View Single Post
Old 07-27-12, 12:37 PM
mtb123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fat Boy
I would say that most of the people riding CX bikes are using them on a touring capacity. CX bikes are a bit trendy right now, so I think often people end up on them that would be better served with a touring bike. Unless you're spending a good chunk of time off road, then a true CX bike it's probably not the best tool for the job.
This statement may or may not hold true depending on where you live. In my local cycling community the folks with CX bikes are using them for road riding (solo and group/club rides), gravel road riding, MUP riding, commuting, and the occasional cx race. If you want to have one "road" bike I think a CX bike is a good option.

Also, the CX line of most of the big name bike brands feature carbon and aluminum models that are more or less "race" bikes and do not include the rack and fender eyelets that would be necessary for touring. Bikes like the surly cross check, which may be marketed for their light touring capability, are not typical CX bikes. It is usually only the lower end models of big name CX bikes that have touring/commuting features for racks and fenders.

Last edited by mtb123; 07-27-12 at 12:51 PM.