Old 08-01-12, 07:29 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Waste of money, to spend $$ to remove 1 year old SORA and replace with 10 to 15 year old group that was at the SORA level (RSX) or one step above (RX100). And then you have the personal question, is entry level now better performing than entry level 10 to 15 years ago? One would hope that Shimano has made a myriad of improvements over that time.

Also will be pretty expensive to do the swap. And you will either end up with an unsellable bike (the old bike), or have to spend even more to install the SORA pieces onto the old bike. This is getting really expensive.

Save the $$, sell the old bike, and use the funds to help pay for the next bike.

Just checked your bike specs, your current shifters are a step below SORA, I still would not do it.

Major part swapping, as you envision, is really best suited for someone with the tools/time/aptitude to do all the work themselves. At that point, you are just using time, and a few $$ on consumables (cables and housings). I make swaps all the time where if I paid someone to do it, would make zero sense financially. My 1987 Prologue is on its fourth drivetrain in three years, and I am getting ready for its next change. Logical? Makes any financial sense? No....
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-01-12 at 10:13 AM.