TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Adjusting the FD

I actually got so frustrated I called a shop but they're booked till Wednesday and I don't want to wait that long. I've always done my own maintenance so this is hurting both my feelings and my ability to ride... so here goes.

I have a SRAM Force drive train with Red shifters & a Red compact front crank. The chain and cassette are both about 880 miles or so new. Until about a week ago I had 52/36 chainrings on there and everything was peachy. Shifting was perfect, never dropped a chain and no rubbing in any gear. I could cross chain with impunity. Life was good. it took a bit of trial and error to get it dialed in that well but it was dialed in.

Last week I put some (previously loved) 50/34 chainrings on the front. I had to lower the FD and haven't had good shifting ever since. I think I've got everything mostly good now but I do get chain rub on the extreme ends which is annoying but not the end of the world, but the chain drops off the large chainring onto the small chainring whenever I get down to one of the lower 3 or so cogs. It actually looks like the chainring teeth are picking up the side plate and lifting it and then the chain just falls on to the small chainring.

It looks like a few of the teeth on the large chainring might have a slight angle to them (bent in, if you will) and I'm wondering if that's the cause of my poor shifting or if it's my mechanical aptitude that's causing it.

Are there any truisms about SRAM Red chainrings that I'm not aware of, like they suck or something?

Any other things I should look at doing? I think I'm going to put the old (newer) 52/36 chainrings back on in the interim since I know I got good shifting with those.

Thanks!