Old 08-06-12, 02:19 PM
Savagewolf
KingoftheMountain wannabe

Bikes: V.O. Pass Hunter & Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't stand drinking straight gatorade during rides. I usually dilute it quite a bit with water if I do use it. I prefer to get my electrolytes from my food and keep my liquids as mainly water. I do enjoy a nice soda during a break, though.

I also never go by the hard rules to drink or eat xxx amount every xxx minutes during xxx. I find that the more you ride, the more you know your body and cycling is a constantly evolving game. Weather, effort and other factors will change a ride everytime even if it's the same route.

The eat/drink xxx every xxx is a good rule to start by for many people, but it isn't going to be perfect. You need to adapt as you ride and know your own body. Everyone is different.

Normally when I ride or do other excercise, I need to consume very little liquid in comparison to other people. I am not a heavy sweater and my body seems to be able to cool itself rather well. I often can do a 40+ mile ride and only consume a bottle and half of liquid and still urinate clear and feel great. That can change. Yesterday's 43 mile ride had me needing over 4 bottles of water and then downing another bottle when I finished the ride.