Old 08-14-12, 07:37 PM
pacificcyclist

Bikes: 2012 Masi Speciale CX : 2013 Ghost 29er EBS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by keke
Do you have any more info on this mod? Didn't know the non-suspension Dahons could be modded in that way. Thanks.
As long as your 406 rims accept Big Apple 2.0 tires and you have enough clearance on the front fork and rear, I don't see why you can't install these. They are a lot bigger than the normal tires that come mostly stock on most Dahons except some models that do come with BA. On some Dahons with short arm V-brakes, you may need to replace them with longer arms like my Mu SL to prevent rubbing on the tire thread while breaking. They do improve ride comfort to a certain point by dampening high frequency vibrations (road and trail imperfections). To smooth out big bumps, you need mechanical suspension (Pantour, front/rear shock and a Thudbuster).

The Pantour suspension hub came stock with my Dahon. 2007 I believe was the last year that they were included with the Mu SL and it provides about 1/2" mechanical travel. You can still buy this hub in 74mm OLD and have it built into a front wheel, but the company seemed to be running on its last leg or something. Half of the website isn't working right. The front suspension does help in conjunction with the BA, but don't expect super plush like a Rock Shox or a Fox. The rear is a Thudbuster and this thing really helps save my butt a few times in conjunction with a rear BA.

The beauty of this setup is that, the Mu SL rides a lot nicer than any stock Dahon or Tern bikes, but the frame is stiff enough for me to attack hills with a big chain ring and feel no flex. Best of both worlds! It rides even better than my Dahon Speed Duo (a steel frame) with 1.75" tires.