sstang13
Riding the bike I love.

Bikes: Marinano Delta

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle
It is normal to take periods of just pure rest, especially after some long event. A week or so it's OK for some people. You don't want to get burned out! From what I've read top racers do take several months off the bike in the off-season. During this time, they may practice other sports (cross-training.)

Other suggestions:
* Sounds like you normally ride solo. So, find buddies to ride with or join a club of some sort.
I ride with my dad almost all of the time in the evening because he loves to ride. But he slows me down a lot so I go during the day (I'm 16 yo and am off school until September 4th) to keep up good intense training rides, It works out nicely because I can enjoy almost a recovery ride 4-6 hours after my "day-time" rides. I also am part of a club and try to go every thursday, sometimes wednesday if neccessary. I am also going to give a club located near me a call sometime this week to ask if I can become a part of them, they train and race seriously.

* Mix it in! Why not try mountain biking if you don't feel like hitting the road? You'll hone down a different set of skills while still training the same muscles. Plus, getting in touch with nature can be reviving.
Funny you say that, I've really been loving mountain biking during the past couple months. I have a trail just down my street and love to go. I did not realize that it was very good for training, I thought the best thing was to ride on the road. Maybe this will be the turning point.

* If you absolutely don't feel like riding at all (especially after a major race or century ride), hit the gym or go running or swimming. Again, you just need to keep active as part of your overall training especially in the on-season.
I worked out yesterday because of the storm because I needed to get my legs going again! I will definitely consider running, swimming might not be a choice, but running for sure.

* In the racing season (which might be short in Canada), you just need to sign up for several events to keep the tempo and pressure on your training.
I am looking very hard to join at least one race this year (September 8th) so for next year I'll know what to expect for the next season, and realize where/how to improve my riding/racing.

* Don't train every time like if it was a century. Some days can be short and sweet (recovery), other days can be interval training, other days hills, etc.
I have two routes that I switch up every couple rides between hills, and a mainly flat, interval route.

* Do rest your body completely one or two days during the week. During this time, download and read some books/magazine from Amazon to keep you motivated with your training or watch bike race videos (TdF, etc.) There's tons of resources online, too. On the off-days, get together with like-minded people even for coffee/beer to discuss recent or upcoming events, bicycle components, share best practices or anything else to keep the "excitement" going.
I always make sure that I take at least 2 days off a week, and I always look for motivational (or not) cycling stuff. Here's one that my Slovakian friend, who's in Slovakia right now, got from Peter Sagan that motivates Peter: http://www.cyclingpowermodels.com/Pr...alCycling.aspx
I talk with my Slovakian friend a lot about cycling, and when he gets back we are thinking about competing in races together.

Good luck!
Thanks a lot, this is really helpful!