Old 08-15-12, 06:44 AM
Micheal Blue

Bikes: Dahon Mu P24, Trek 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alhedges
Why not use the stock derailleur or get a double chainring up front and have an even greater range?
Because it seems in the higher gears the chain is really forced to the side a lot. That cannot be good
for chain longevity and gear train reliability. I also read reports about the chain falling off.

You don't need a suspension.
On what authority do you say that? The Brommie's suspension or a Thudbuster are not there to smooth out potholes
and big bumps. They are to soak up "vibrations" from cracks, rougher pavement (chip seal), and other smaller irregularities.
Ask your spine if it prefers a suspension on small-wheel bikes. If you're not sure how to ask, you can ask a chiropractor.
(Sure, on smooth cycle paths -wherever they exist - a suspension wouldn't be needed.)

Get the nylon travel bag for the tikit and pad it with foam; the bag costs $70
I have a bag that can comofortably hold my 20" Dahon. My concern is that because the Tikit's fold
is not as neat and clean, some parts could get damaged during transit.

for another, the tikit comes with "V" brakes, which are better than the standard brompton brakes.
The standard V-brakes on Tikit are cheap. They came standard on my Dahon and the front one seized 3/4 through the
first winter. I test-rode a Brommie, and the brakes seemed just fine (though it was a short test ride).

(Assuming you've ruled out a 20" folder like the NWT).
Buying two folders, one 16-inch for commuting and one 20-inch for touring, is out of the question, until I win the lottery