Old 08-15-12, 08:22 AM
Dave.H

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Which Bike: Felt F65X or Focus Mares AX 2.0 Disc

For many reasons I am SOLD on getting a CX bike with disc brakes. The primary reason for buying a CX bike is racing, secondary is a bad weather/off season training bike in place of my roadie, third is touring on vacation and riding with the kids around town, fourth is commuting. We tend to have muddy/wet races here and being that this will be a foul weather bike I want the stopping power. Some of my training will involve riding road from the house to the local single track and then riding the single track.

I raced some CX last year on an OLD mountain bike. Loved the racing, hated riding that bike.

Anyway, I've done a LOT of looking locally and ruled out a lot of bikes (many because I want disc). Today I am down to these two (this may change tomorrow)

1) Felt F65X - Apex front derailer and and shifters, Rival rear derailer, BB5 brakes
2) Focus Mares AX 2.0 Disc - 105 components, Tektro Lyra brakes

The Focus is pushing the greater BB drop and the Felt seems to have more slop in the TT which will maybe make it easier to toss around? Maybe thats the opposite? I assume this is due to the longer head tube on the Felt than the Focus. What about the wheelsets? is either better? The Felt is supposedly abut 1-2 lbs lighter.

I have ridden the Felt and really liked it. I have not ridden the Focus but have read great reviews on them and it's available significantly cheaper than the Felt.

Anyone have an opinion on these two and how they really compare? Is the Felt worth $350+ more then the Focus?