Old 08-15-12, 10:58 AM
serguei.ps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My story now//Any Koga Miyata enthusiasts?

Hi to everyone! One day few weeks ago I came into small bicycle workshop near my house. You know... Where 50 yo man, who was professional track racer in USSR nowadays repair bikes with his son, sell some not-so-expensive bikes and so on. Then I saw IT for the first time - it was something green, with very small frame (this frame only looked bit small), with empty winter tires, pannier rack, ugly blue
mudflaps and many lights and stuff - I thought that was something like women tourist bike and I didn't look closer at him. When I was second time at this workshop and there was few people round I looked closer i read koga miyata at the frame (at that
moment I didn't know what it is), this frame measured 54cm (not so small). Workshop owner said that one old man ride that bike and now he died, so his widow wants to sell it, because she don't need it anymore. He pumped up the tires, I took a ride and it was simply perfect... Everything worked nice and smooth, frame was in perfect shape.. So I took it, for 80$... When I was at home I took off everything that shouldn't be on that bike and I only then I realized what I got - very nice Koga Miyata Gent's Racer, now he looks like this photo picture.

It has all original Shimano 600 system with original gear and brake shifters and levers, original SR SAKAE CUSTOM bullhorn, SR SAKAE
seatpost, and KYOKUTO TOP-RUN pedals with toe-clips and straps.

What is not original as I understand is Cinelli nadlebar stem, SELLE ITALIA CRITERIUM saddle, rear wheel hub is SUZUE and rim is Mavic Module E2, front wheel is HVZ SPECZAKAZ (USSR track wheel).

Few days ago I had 300USD offer for that, but.. I don't want to sell it!

Also I started to take everything off that bike - I want to clean everything to make it shiny and looking like new, also frame needs some paintwork. And I have some questions for KM enthusiasts - I think you can help me a lot
First question from me will be - what do you think about this bike,
it's originality etc? (i'll make good photos later)

Second - frame number starts from F - as I understand this means year
of production is 1977 from miyata brochure, but this color and decals
starts from 1978.. IS that possible?

Also, I'm missing some small details, for example i don't have original screw, which comes with Cinelli stem, one little thing like in that picture (what's that thing name?)

Where can I get these small things?

And final question - I want to make it looking nice and smooth but sometimes I think about fixed gear project - is that frame good enough to make it fixed?
Thanks!