Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Platforms are Too Much Fun

Starting in about 1982 or 83 I finally started using toe clips/straps and used them (on various bikes) until 1997 (14 years), then switched to SPD and rode SPDs on both road and mountain bikes until 12 months ago (15 years). Primarily because I didn't want to change into work shoes every day, I decided to commute on platform pedals at that time. Well, the hardest thing to get used to when you start using platforms is keeping you feets from slipping and sliding around, and finding (and maintaining) a good foot position on the pedal. Now I've been on platforms for a year, and so today I put my SPD's on the "Black Knight" bike (because I want to be a real bicyclist?). I bombed around the neighborhood for a half hour - and rode back home and put my platform pedals back on! Maybe it's my age (59-1/2) or maybe it's just that I've gotten used to them, but when I'm attacking the neighborhood streets/sidewalks/parking lots and doing quick stops/starts and being a general old-man nuisance, my platform pedals are just too fun.

Last edited by Mark Stone; 08-16-12 at 07:54 PM.