Old 08-17-12, 12:47 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
It's not the tyres, it's the debris on the road. Glass is extremely difficult to fight. Best method I've found is to listen for the tell-tale >tick< sounds of running over glass. Then immediately rub on the tyre with a gloved hand to scrape the glass off. The glass typically does not go through on the first rotation, but requires repeated pounding to work its way through. Same with goat-heads and metal shards. Nails are usually the only thing that can puncture on 1st impact.

It's also a good idea to put in kevlar or Tuffy tyre-liners. These increase the thickness that must be penetrated before the object reaches the air-chamber of the tube. And using thorn-resistant tubes with a thicker side facing the tyre-tread also increases the thickness. And finally, add some sealant for that last-ditch effort. I rode cross-country, 3500-miles back in 1995 and got just 2 flats with that all-out combination.

Also, DO NOT pump up your tyres to maximum pressure possible. Use the Michelin on-line calculator to find a 15% sink-rate. I like a 20% sink-rate myself for improved traction and cornering-grip. Lower-pressure allows the tyre to wrap over and around the object and some of your weight will be on the surrounding tyre touching the ground. Higher-pressure will have the tyre not deform when you ride over that piece of glass. Instead, the entire contact-patch will be lifted up and onto the glass with all your weight bearing down on it. Much easier to puncture.