Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
In my experience, there's usually only one ping (per spoke) as the tension is released. It sounds like the OP is experiencing repeated pinging. Unless the wheel was recently serviced and the tech allowed the spokes to wind-up or bind, I'm not sure this explains the problem...
In my experience, if the spokes does not release, the ping continues. I have had wheels with repeated pings after having them serviced at the LBS. Binding spokes don't always release during use. Big reason why I started building my own.

He does say in his post that the wheels have gone out of true a couple times. I was wondering the same thing, did he just have them recently serviced?

Another thought, I once had a ping and thought it was the spokes (left pedal up consistent ping). Turns out I had just repaired a rear flat. Somehow the lock ring on the cassette worked loose. I retightened it then the noise was gone. THis one drove me crazy trying to find it.

So now whenever I repair a rear flat, I always add a little pressure with the lockring tool to see if it has worked loose.