Old 08-17-12, 11:44 AM
dewey decibel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Motobecane/

Here's a link to a bunch of Moto catalogs, in case you haven't seen them. Nice bike.
Cool, thanks! I'm guessing the original owner bought a Nomade or maybe Mirage from around '77 (based on specs), and was sent a replacement Grand Touring frame from maybe '82. Still haven't found a frame with the same color/decals though.

Originally Posted by Anthoswart
The frame you had would have had suntour throughout if it is 1980. Why not try and find all the original parts and rebuild it? I was lucky enough to get (as far as I know) a fully original bike, but If I was you I would build it back up part by part. Given that you can probably get the bits for about $10-15 each, it might be worth having a bash at saving a bit of money and going for it?
I'm really not all that concerned with originality. Especially because the fork will never match, and it seems difficult to find another in the proper color. Might not be the best thing to say on the classic and vintage forum, just being honest.

Originally Posted by Anthoswart
There should be a 7 or 8 digit number inside of the left dropout (you will have to take the back wheel off).
The problem is there does not seem to be a readily available key to decipher the number. I read people on here want to try but it does not seem to have happened. I can get mine and we can put them both on and see what it means or try and compare the two numbers and crack the code!

Cheers

Cool, I'm pretty busy the next couple days, but after I'll try and get that number and post it in the other thread.