View Single Post
Old 08-17-12, 02:53 PM
hotsoup701

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the risk of getting flamed, I really don't get why the bromptom doesn't produce a better bike. For years I've lived in cities - New York, Tokyo and now Los Angeles - and I get folding bikes. The problem for me is that performance is as important as the fold. I test rode the bromptom, dahons, tern, Bike Friday, etc. and had problems with the stem flex with both the bromptom and Bike Friday. The dahon that I looked at is no longer being producted (mute point). the tern was light, well built and rode great. (as a disclaimer, I did end up buying a Tern.)

I really tried to like the Bromptom. Really really tried. I think Kotler calls it the share of heart. When I lived in Tokyo, I used to drool over a pair of bromptoms that I passed on my way to/from work. Looking through the internet forums, there are bikers who use the Bromptoms for touring, even participate in racing contests. Bromptom owners are passionate about their rides. But, there are also horror stories of the bikes failing. Feels like 20 zillion threads on how to mod your bromptom because it has cheezy foam handlebars or uses a frankenstein derailer +hub system to get six speeds. Love the fold, but can't understand why the folding mechanism hasn't been improved on. Kind of reminds me of how BMW doggedly refused to put an adjustable steering column in their cars. For a while, I was willing to live with the problems. I would start putting money aside for the bike, but then I would go out and test ride the bike. When it came to lay down the credit card, I just couldn't do it.