RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After a dozen or so charity rides, here's my advice:

• Take time to stop at all of the rest stops. Thank the volunteers at each one. This takes time off your 'fastest ride', but it's worth it.
  • Ride at your own pace. Ride your own ride.
  • Start slower than you think you need to. It's WAY too easy to get caught up in the excitement and blow up in the first 15 miles. I tell myself this every time, and I still don't heed my own advice.
  • Start eating and drinking before you get hungry or thirsty. Rest stops are there for a reason.
  • Don't be afraid to ride alone. It's a great way to slow down and enjoy the scenery, a quiet stretch of road, and the susurration of your well-maintained bicycle.
  • Don't be afraid to ride with a group (unless they're being unsafe... then feel free to drop off the back). It's a great way to really feel part of something bigger, and the increased speed from riding in a paceline is fun.
  • Some of the best times I've had on group rides have been when I've ridden along with one other solo rider for a few miles. On back roads, you can ride side-by-side, strike up a conversation (ask them a complementary question about their bike), and make a new friend (that you'll probably never see again).
  • Don't feel bad if people pass you. Instead of beating yourself up for riding too slowly, repeat the mantra 'ride my own ride'.
  • Don't get cocky if you pass people. Try not to blow past them so fast it's embarrassing.
  • If you're riding alone and only slowly catching up with them, maybe ride with them a bit. Take a hint if they don't seem interested; maybe they're looking to enjoy some alone time.
  • Enjoy the ride. Your ride.