Old 08-17-12, 07:43 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
Gels are not food. They are meant to be used for quick energy. You're caloric requirements for long rides are going to be in the 250-350 (quality)calories per hour. You can take in more than that but you will not be able to absorb the nutrients any faster than that rate. It doesn't matter how big or small you are. If you take in more than that you risk digestive issues on longer rides. The harder you push your limits the more this is true. If you are just cruising, it doesn't matter as much. Everyone is a little different but the above guidelines should work. If I start a century with a good solid meal I'm usually good for about 30- 70 miles depending on the difficulty of the ride before I have to start eating. The key is to start eating and drinking before you get hungry or thirsty.
By your definition what ever it may be Cliff bars are not food either. Yeah whatever. Gels are nutrition as is any food you might be eating on your ride. It is not the distance that matters as much as how long it takes you to go that distance. I eat sometimes as little as 100 calories and hour after the first hour and do fine. I've used cereal bars, fig bars, Cliff bars, fruit, and a bunch of other items including gels on rides. I use gels for quick pick-me-ups like right before a climb but I do factor them into my 100 - 250 calorie an hour plan after the first hour. I do not factor in calories from beverages such as Nuun or Gatorade.