View Single Post
Old 08-18-12, 03:45 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,300 Times in 867 Posts
It is possible to run normal cartridge bb's as if they were chainline-adjustable, simply ignoring the flange.

Why this bb needed such a rightward offset is unknown to me, but looks like it might be a case of a triple crank being fitted onto the the bike's former double-length bb.

I had an opposite situation, while tightening a Shimano UN7X bb into the right end of the bb shell, the flange broke completely off.
Enough of the spline remained to allow me to still turn the cup, with final tightening being done with the left-side cup as usual.

I suspect that there is sufficient engagement between the threaded cup and shell here, so as long as the cups are tight should be ok.
It would have been better if a spacer filled the gap though, which would stabilize the heavily-loaded driveside end of the bb cartridge in the shell, but Phil Wood bb's and Campagnolo's best cartridge bb's from the previous era did just fine with the two ends of the bb cartridge simply tightened against each other.